It is time to do something about it. Here is a condensed blog-post to make up for the lasyness the past days. And then I can start over on "ny kula".
After having spent a few days on the Ehmke farm, we (host-mom, host-daughter and I) headed out on a roadtrip to Wyoming. Yippie! I was going to visit my third state (if you dont count when I changed plane in Washington D.C.).
And what a state! Fall-colors on the trees, sunshine, mountatins and lovely people. And on the altitude approx 10800 ft we also found some snow :)
The reason for out trip was to visit the granddaughter, and celebrate her birthday (she turns three this friday). It was lovely to be a part of her opening presents, blowing out the candles on the cake and have fun with grandma and auntie. Those are the things that reminds me of how close we are in culture to each other - the U.S. and Sweden. Apart from the birthday celebrations we had time to go and visit her preschool, take a walk on the campus of the University, say hi to a nobel prize laureate, visit a local pub, do some grocery shopping and learn a lot of things about the cowboy state Wyoming.
The granddaghters parents both worked on the university. C with extension, M with research and teaching. I feel that the U.S is better that sweden when it comes to extension, the "third leg" of the universities as we say in Swedish. I know that the University of Gothenburg is struggling to reach to the public with information created within the university.
The largest employer in Laramie (the town we visited) is the University, but the town once popped up because of the rail-road. And the rail-road is still big in the town. A lot of swedes contributed when the railroad was built through the wild west. I have heard a quote somewhere a long time ago (or maybe I read it in a Lucky Luke magazine?), trying to emphasize the swedes part of the speed with which the rail-road was built. "Ge mig nagra pallar snus, nagra pallar sprit och ett gang svenskar sa skall ni se att jarnvagen blir klar inom ett ar."
Foresten sa blir jag sugen pa att lasa alla Luky Luke igen, nu nar jag varit i eller i narheten av massa gamla kanda vilda vastern -stader :)
Borjar snart bli lite pinsamt, for sa fort nagon fragar om jag kanner till den och den staden sa svarar jag att jag kanner igen namnet fran a childrens magazine jag laste nar jag var liten. :)
.

2 comments:
Ååå livet är allt bra tungt =) Vad roligt att Lucky Luke kom till någon mer nytta än bara nöje ;)
Ha ha ha! Lucky Luke. allas våran räddare!
Post a Comment