Here you can find some photos from my first days at the Ehmke farm (find it by searching at maps.google.com using the coordinates 38.45,-100.60):
http://picasaweb.google.com/Emma.Hedin/Kansas21?authkey=Gv1sRgCJfNxrT75sT-qwE#5527319024847030306
Besides visiting a 4-H club and running errands in Dighton I have been dusting the office (the farm is rasing commercial seed that they sell to farmers to plant), sweeping the porch and BBQ-area, working on cleaning weeds out.
Slowly I am understanding the political parties and the political system, I em excited because there is an election 2nd of november so I get to be a part of that!
I am also understanding more and more about the large scale farming that occurs here out on the plains. I hope on even more conversations regarding that the value of farming has to be restored and that farmers really should be allowed to charge what it costs to produce food rather than conforming to the prices set by the large food companies.
The highlight of my time here at the Ehmke farm so farm is maybe the oilwells that are everywhere. I am trying to get used to them. And the smell.
.

No comments:
Post a Comment